Friday, May 19, 2006

Am I that obvious?

Class: Remedial Biology
Topic: Crash course in cellular respiration

This is the class that I co-teach, and by co-teach I mean work one-on-one with kids who are struggling. And struggle we did. Cellular respiration is my Ambien (yes, it even makes me want to eat). I am desperately trying to feign interest to help Victor understand the intricacies of gylcolysis when from across the room I hear Dennis say, “Who’s this?”

He is sitting by himself, his elbow on the table and he cupping his hand to his ear. Confused and curious to see what will happen next, I pretend not to notice.

“Who the fuck is Margaret?”
(a pause)
“Yo, you have the wrong number?” As Dennis says this he looks up to see not only myself, but the other five students in the room staring at him with looks of “what the heck?”

Sliding his hand into his lap he said, “What, am I that obvious? A guy called and asked for Margaret.”

Victor jumped in before I could say anything, “and you answered your phone?”

Looking around the room, and finding no sympathetic faces to back him up, Dennis looked at me, “well, I didn’t think you’d notice.”

Let’s just say Dennis the CIA won’t be calling you anytime soon to be a secret agent.

No comments: