Friday, May 12, 2006

A is the First Letter of the Alphabet

A+. A. A-. B+. B. B-. C+. C. C-. D+. D. D-. F+. F.
There should be an F-.
There can’t be an F-, how can someone be below failing?

1. 2. 3. 4. Or is it 4. 3. 2. 1?
Letters and numbers are so parochial, symbols: a++; a+; a; a- are far superior!
What, exactly, is the difference between a a++ and a a+?

In less than 4 days I will finish my Masters Degree in Secondary Eduaction and yet there is something mildly ironic in that even after taking 12 graduate courses I have only a slightly better idea as to how to grade this paragraph than when I started my degree. I admit, I am a science teacher, but as a qualified teacher (at least according to the state of Massachusetts) shouldn’t I be able to whip out my red pen and confidently brand this paragraph with a grade? The answer is a resounding NO!

One of the many lessons I have learned this past year is that grading is anything but black and white. The issue of grading begs another question, are all A's equal? Should an A in an AP Chemistry class be of greater "value" than an A in an honors or remedial Chemistry class? When I was an AP student in high school I would vehemently argue that an A in an AP class is "worth" more than an "A" in a remedial class. But what exactly is an A "worth"? Right now the only thing I can be sure of when it comes to an A is that it's the first letter of the alphabet.

1 comment:

Career Guy said...

Back in my day (say that with the inflection of Grampa Simpson), grades were in fact weighted depending upon the track you were in. An honors 'A' was worth more than a standard 'A'. I'm sure your mother remembers that.

In re: grading. I've always found that to be a drag. I just glanced through about thirty papers (doing the grades for a staff member on leave), and I was so disappointed in much of them and so thrilled to find someone who could string words together to make sense.

Congratulations on your Masters degree!! Woo-hoo! Party on.