Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Back when I was in school....

Tonight is it. THE BIG NIGHT. Prom night. The zenith of a high school student’s life (hopefully not the pinnacle of their lives…but an important night nonetheless). All the excitement has resurrected some of my own memories from my junior and senior prom.

Junior year, I was apparently so involved in planning the prom, I forgot the “most” important piece: the date. So, with less than 48 hours before the big event, I did what any self-respecting girl would do: while warming up during tennis practice, in between serves, I screamed down the four other courts, “Hey! Does anyone want to go to prom?” This was my last shot for a date (first time I asked anyone….last shot…it’s a fine line..) Luckily, Marky, a senior said, “sure.” Pheww, a narrow escape from disaster.

As a pre-emptive strike against making the same mistake senior year, I asked my best friend, Adam, shortly after Christmas (ahh, yes the prom was not until May). Determined to make my life miserable for the next five months, Adam told me he would tell me on May 1st. Bastard!
So far, the drama has yet to unfold for the first senior prom the school has ever had. In fact, the prom has actually brought out the kinder side of people. One girl does not have the financial resources pay for the $60 ticket. Over the past week her friends and faculty have slipped the senior advisors a $5 bill here and a $10 bill there, so that she could go.

1 comment:

Career Guy said...

Aww-how sweet, helping the girl go to prom. There is a movie script in here somewhere, I think.