Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The Lab Coat

When the assistant headmaster reads the roster for my period 4 chemistry class, he tosses his head back releasing a maniacal laugh; the kind of laugh Noah had when his neighbors said, “it’s just a rain shower, it’ll pass.”
It’s our first wet lab of the year and I’m busy helping a pair of students learn how to use a triple beam balance, when I hear my mentor teacher call my name.
Ms. S., do you want Danny wearing your lab coat? Despite already knowing the answer to this question, she waits for my response.
Staring Danny down, I emphatically reply, Absolutely not!
Danny swaggers, shrugging his shoulders, well the cabinet was open, so I figuahed I could reach in and take it.
With completely uncharacteristic speed I somehow reply, well Danny, your mouth’s always open, but you don’t see me stickin’ my hands in there. This response is greeted with “ooooooooooooh, she gotcha good!” by the rest of the class. If I thought Danny were capable of blushing, I’d say he did, but he definitely put that lab coat back.

No comments: